Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Queen for a Day

Years ago I won on an American T.V. program called, "Queen for a Day."  Contestants were handed a card as they entered the theater on which they wrote their wish if the won.  Over a thousand people crowded the auditorium, some coming by busloads.  I sat with one friend.
Numbers were called until 25 names remained.  One number matched the one I'd been given at the door when I entered.  We were each interviewed with only four names remaining.  I was one of the four.
M.C. Jack Bailey then questioned each lady as to their wish.  I explained that our six-year old daughter had been attacked by a German Shepherd dog and was terrified of dogs.  I told how we'd visited friends at a ranch after the episode and they had a litter of new puppies.  Our daughter sat on the steps of their house and played with the small furry animals.
I continued, "So, my wish is for a puppy and fence around our backyard."
Winners were selected by an applause meter.  A robe was placed around my shoulders and a crown on my head as they declared me, "Queen for a Day."
Prizes included something never before done on the show.  The queen would represent the women of America at the 20th anniversary of D-Day in Normandy, France.
Spending time in a country where I didn't understand the language was a wake-up call as to the importance of speaking and understanding. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment